Sunday, March 8, 2020

The Pro-Smoking viciousness that the administration countenanced at the University of Delaware--overlapping text here


  • The Chairman (Dawson) told me that he could not ask his elderly female secretary to go outside to smoke even though OSHA (when I GOT OSHA there) said her smoke went straight up into my cubicle.
  • The Librarian was the worst. She allowed smoking at every access point and in particular let her dozen or so of female employees to smoke lined up along the building to the south of the Front Doors. If you have been to Paris you can imagine what they looked like.
  • The Librarian was so concerned to cater to Middle Eastern students that she designated a room on the 3rd floor as the SMOKING ROOM for them and others. Of course, the smoke always got so bad that they had to open the door so they could breathe and let the whole library fill with smoke.
  • Finally, I retired early, at a significantly lower pension that I could have had if I had stayed and have scratched out a happy almost smoke-free life here in the Central Coast of California.
  • One anecdote. After the building I taught in was at last supposedly smoke free I was in a large amphitheater, in the pit, not at the top. In was an hour and 15 minutes class. At 12 noon I would begin to get sick. Students nearby said they could smell nothing, nothing. What was wrong with me? Well, what was wrong was that smoke was sickening me. Charlie Robinson went down the hall opening every door and found a female employee who on the stroke of 12 rushed into a closet to light up, every day. As OSHA found, there were no obstacles, so her smoke funneled right down to me.
  • I fought and I fought and I fought and I lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment