Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Phillip (double l) Harth, Professor at Northwestern, on my 1959 Paper on Swift--Oh, the things not thrown away yet

I look at this piece completed on Pearl Harbor Day, 1959, and remember that three and a half months earlier I had been the night telegrapher on the Kansas City Southern in Port Arthur, Texas.

That was a long time ago. I had no idea until the last decade or so that Churchill, Jane Austen, and I were all descended from Sir Thomas Leigh, the Lord Mayor at Elizabeth's coronation. Cassandra Austen and I are excessively pleased at this descent.

And despite the misspelling (typographical error, surely) in the conclusion, I am pleased with the ending, now.

Harth, who went on to Wisconsin, was a very great teacher.

What a shock Northwestern was, and the strange dominatrix in Harth's class with her little whip and the catatonic boy with her. And I had $1800 given me to go to school for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment