Saturday, February 22, 2020

One of the strangest of coincidences--Jean-Luc Bannalec and Helen MacInnes

Someone yesterday and today has been reading THE MISSING CORPSE and looking in an up-to-date 1975-era atlas for maps then printing a couple on a Tablet, but not happy about the lack of detail. I worked packing Box 63 and got very far on Box 64 using miscellaneous letters from Sealts, Leyda, Hayford, and others. I threw out 100 or so pages of notes on conversations with Sendak over PIERRE and on other projects. He is dead like so many others. Threw out a lot. Took photographs of Box 64 in progress showing room for half a dozen books. (I will re-photograph when full.)  Later I walked by the low wall of books just outside the elevator in the garage and thought I might see a few Melville books there. I pulled out a red and blue book as I walked and looked at it. It was ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY which I had forgotten I owned. In it were two maps I had printed which were better than anything found yesterday or today.

I must have bought it after coming here because I had thought of early 1953 as I took over as Agent-Telegrapher in Singer, Louisiana. A young minister was there, beginning to pack to leave, and he loaned me that book and ABOVE SUSPICION. I can't even remember if he was the Baptist minister though I think he must have been since it was the only one right in the village. But at some point 15 years or so ago I wanted to read ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY again. I swear, I picked it up which I could have picked up any of a couple of dozen books that were not deeply buried under others. After working so hard packing and thinking about the past decades, this was very strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment