Tuesday, February 18, 2020

James Tracy and his DIRECT ACTION (1996)--what you can learn from the Internet after reading the book

I bought the paperback of DIRECT ACTION because I am a Dellinger, 5 great grandson of Johnnes Phillip Dellinger who was David Dellinger's 3 great grandfather. Uncle Henry Dellinger (brother of Mary Magdelene Dellinger Costner (1741-1839) was the executive of my 4 Great Grandfather Peter Costner's estate in the 1780s in Lincoln County, NC. He is about the only Tory in the family. I like to think he died on the wrong side at Ramsour's Mill in 1780 because he did not understand English enough to know which part of the ground to go to. His brother Jacob was certainly an early patriot, a signer of the Tryon Association in 1775.

I have commented before on my disgust that the 20th century David Dellinger was proud of his Revolutionary ancestry--but only from his Boston family. This radical had no idea that his NC family had been revolutionaries early, as early as 1775.

If I had known we were cousins in 1968 and thereafter, oh what prestige I could have gotten from the living room radicals of Brentwood! I still am interested, and found James Tracy's book absorbing, especially the 1940s-1960s sections.

What you can find online! Several pdfs of entire reviews and a good article "BU Bridge Feature Article--Boston University" on James Travis--"Teacher, historian named new BU Academy headmaster."

No comments:

Post a Comment