Friday, July 31, 2020

Cleaning up desk. See a 27 April 2020 letter to a doctor, husband of a Tindall cousin. Things are bad now, but so much better!

 

Hershel Parker <argulusezekiel@gmail.com>

5:03 PM (3 hours ago)

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

to Robert, me

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

Robert, thank you.

I hardly know what to say. Thursday with the PET image up we were assured that I had cancer all over my torso.  The only problem facing the oncologist is that they were small and he worried about how to get a biopsy. He sent me over to the blood draw for 12 or 14 vials. 8 had been my limit before this, months ago, checking CK. Over the weekend he texted (the first text we ever received--we learned for him) that there was a tumor in the gastro-intestinal area. Then this noon he telephoned. He had received some of the lab results back. I had TB in the 1950s, but the TB was still dormant.  He tested for some long coccid . . word which I have not learned yet . . . and found that I had antibodies for Valley Fever. He decided that all the little cancers were really Valley Fever points. Now, that leaves me with the possible loss of the good right eye. We need to find someone to see if it is also a result of Valley Fever and we need to see if someone can remove the brown liquid without damaging the center of vision. I have already taken 2 Fluconazole (maybe misspelled) pills and will take 2 more tonight. Big bottle--30 day supply. So we are back worrying about my loss of vision, and wondering who to trust. The local oncologist seemed quite admirable to both of us--but he was fooled (if he was) by the PET scan.  Still, he asked for a check of that antibody and found antibodies. The great man in Stanford dropped the ball in several ways, including a rush to assume that cancer in the eye meant cancer in the body. I don't want to go back to him for surgery. If there is surgery. Maybe the eye will begin to respond to the anti fungal drug?

We just told people the bad news--as I told you last night. We are not talking about this till we know more.  I am still greatly concerned about my vision. We behaved, I will tell you, much better than anyone had any right to expect. I was astounded and indignant sure, after all the steamed broccoli decade after decade and no alcohol at all since 1986, and running since 1978 until I changed to walking three or four years ago. I was all set to outlive my mother, 92 and a few months. Heddy took it harder. I began working every day on the book I want to write, and have gotten seriously into it. This morning I worked 3 hours with a patch over my right eye, to rest it. Anyhow, what I did was go to work. It was very strange to be more than a little angry that I should have cancer, after all that running, but I was laughing at the absurdity of it.  So the upshot is that I may have cancer of the eye but probably do not have cancer in the body. The eye is in doubt, and I am going to take 2 more magical anti-fungal pills tonight.  In Stanford Heddy said, He can't have cancer--look at him. Of course I had a big mask on, but I absolutely agreed with her! Do you think it possible that Valley Fever could resemble cancer on  a PET scan? . . . .

Hershel

 


No comments:

Post a Comment