Sunday, January 12, 2020

LibriVox Shakespeare--A great boon if you are doing floor exercises in the middle of the night

The readers are amateurs and sometimes appallingly ignorant of the meaning of their speeches, but almost all of them speak clearly, and slowly enough that you can figure out how a line should be accented even if the reader does not know. If you are lucky you can cast John Gielgud as reader for an important role and hear his voice in your mind. You can check out competing readings sometimes. LibriVox has an old Oregon production of MACBETH that opens brilliantly while the Paul Scofield version opens with a humdrum account of some kind of battle maybe fought somewhere that might possibly be of some interest to Duncan. I'll take my chances with Oregon, which gets it.

Gielgud when I had TB was a godsend on long playing records.

You won't believe where I finally got to sit in the front row as he performed scenes from Shakespeare: in Beaumont, Texas.

Geni says we are 19th cousins once removed. Now Geni can err, but what a remarkable resource it could be in the hands of historians. Think about the strange and wonderful 3 dozen connections portrayed, with all those Polish ancestors of his intruding into my Scots and those omnipresent Boleyns. Anyhow, a Depression Okie got to sit in the middle of the front row in 1958 or 1959. I could check the year now that we have the Internet. Ha! I could go to the Beaumont JOURNAL as I did when I wanted to know when I quit the railroad. Research now! so easy. 

P. S. It was 10 December 1958, 8:05 pm on a Wednesday. I must have worked weekends with days off in the middle, because this was on a Wednesday, and I would never have asked anyone to take my 8 pm till 4 am place, except that April when my brother was electrocuted up in Iowa.


I am afraid of apps but may find more audio series but for now on to King John, which I perversely loved in 1956, particularly the Bastard. I just could not figure out quite what Commodity meant, back then. Maybe I will understand in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment