Sunday, January 19, 2020

Being ungrateful for free audio of King John, but the Librivox production really is pathetic

The idea of having a piping child or maybe sick woman reading the Bastard is demeaning to the project. What you need, I keep saying, is a voice that seems to be that of a well-muscled intellectual actor who a little later can play Hotspur convincingly. Middle of the night is not the best time to see if there is another "free" audio of the play. Why would I expect Shakespeare audios to be free of deceitful scams? Try Romeo and Juliet for free and then (oh my) pay for Two Noble Kinsmen. Now, the Librivox production of Macbeth, which I just sampled, starts very well indeed. Be grateful, geezer. In 1958 I had to read King John aloud by myself to get a recording to go to sleep by after working 8 pm till 4 am. But that squeaky Librivox Bastard!

No comments:

Post a Comment