Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Last night an old Mentalist used a copy of MOBY-DICK we did not recognize. How dare they?

Then the clever one wanted to investigate because the words at the top of the screen were the same as on the Northwestern paperback of CLAREL with an introduction by me. I put out my right hand and snagged an unfamiliar blue MD. Lordy, it had an introduction by me. 2001 was a hard year.
So they used the Northwestern paperback in the Mentalist. Neither the writer nor the star knew that the whale survived, but hey, they used a worthy edition.

1 comment:

  1. Hershel Parker you might be interested in my discovery (it is not being reviewed by Leviathan as far as I can tell). In my book Division and Imagined Unity: The Seamless Whole (2018), I demonstrated that the literary feud between Herman Melville and George Washington Peck was the inspiration for J. S. Sauzade’s first novel The Spuytenduyvel Chronicle (1856). The competition between the refined Mr. We and the vulgar whaleman Ben Countant for the love of Amy Spuytenduyvel-Page dramatizes the literary battle for the heart and soul of an American literature. Sauzade makes known where he stands when Ben Countant places two pieces of scrimshaws depicting a whaling ship and a cannibal on the Spuyteduyvel-Page mantle and his winning of Amy over his rivals.

    ReplyDelete