Saturday, October 12, 2019

Is James Milton Newberry around? Man who commented on Milliken's Bend by Barnikel?

James Milton Newberry, like you I find this book fascinating. MWS is my GGG Grandfather's nephew, so I have a special interest in the book also. I have discovered something Linda Barnickel did not find, Milton's own account of his supposed crime in very long article in a Texas newspaper. In one passage Sims, in solitary confinement, ransacks his brain "as to the probable charges against him." He decides it must have to do with four slaves "who had enlisted in the federal army and were caught with arms in their hands making war upon the white people." Sims "was ordered to send two of them to Delhi and have them hanged in the presence of the troops there and the other two to hang in the presence of the troops at Floyd, where he was stationed. This order he executed. He simply obeyed orders." I have informed Linda Barnickel of this discovery. You can't fault her research: the Internet and especially the additions to databases of newspapers are creating an explosion of information. You can contact me, Cousin James, on the blog listed on my Wikipedia page, and I will send you the long article. There's at least one other newspaper article out there on MWS's dramatic escape, one Hebert mentions, in the N O Picayune, and so far I can't find it.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to read the article. I have my great great grandfather's sword that's one of my most prized possessions. I do some work for the American Battlefield Trust which has a magazine it sends members. I think his story might be of interest to them.

    If you send me an email, I'll send you a picture of Milton Walker Sims in his uniform. He's a handsome man and quite tall (6'4"). My email is donordoctorshow@gmail.com My phone number is 240.477.3999 . James M. Newberry

    ReplyDelete