Monday, August 13, 2018

Then the really bad news came

Gene Gibson of Oklahoma was the oldest friend I kept in touch with by email. My dear Tindall cousin and first collaborator Lottie died weeks ago, 4 June 2018. Gene was the only one left. I went to work on the Santa Fe at 16 after the 11th grade and did not graduate high school with them, but a couple of years later Gene hired on the Kansas City Southern, and I saw him several times before he quit to go to college and I got tuberculosis. These last years we have been emailing pretty regularly. He was the only one who knew me from school and from a railroad. So today came an email from his son saying Gene had suffered a heart attack on the 8th, the morning we left for Monterey, and died that afternoon. That's my last connection to school at Wister, Oklahoma. Now all my older old friends are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment