Monday, August 13, 2018

Not since 2002 when Richard Brodhead lied about me in the NY TIMES and Andrew Delbanco lied about me in the NEW REPUBLIC have I spent such a night

It's my fault for being so upset because termite-tenters told to open every door when spraying tore an elevator door off its hinges

I let myself stew about the sheer brutality of the damage. Had he had a tiff with his wife? Was he insane? Had he been hired off the street rather than being part of the team we had been promised? Did he use his foot? A crowbar? I was exhausted from carrying boxes up to the fourth floor where we no longer had an elevator. We were sweeping the steps of the muck the exterminators left--slaving Saturday and Sunday. I just lost it last night and slept maybe two hours.
Brodhead, then dean of Yale College, said that only I in my "black hole" had heard of Melville's 1860 POEMS when everyone had known since 1922. Delbanco, a chaired professor at Columbia, said that because I had made up POEMS and the earlier book THE ISLE OF THE CROSS readers should be wary of anything I say in either volume (and await his reliable forthcoming [2005] biography!). They lied. They got away with it. And Elizabeth Schultz of Kansas joined them. I did not sleep well for 5 years after that. Last night was bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment