Saturday, October 14, 2017

A South Carolina Mystic 1826 or so--not "corrected." Does anyone have the latter part of the will?


I Elizabeth Boyd on seeing & conversing with a spirit from Heaven at sundry times and sundry places. I went to Salem meeting House in Newberry district--to hear one of our Methodist preachers, the House being crowded very much he preached out-of-doors. I set down and leaned against a tree and there came a spirit from heaven to me and laid off the beautiful city upon our land the size of each lott was half an acre, and the price of it such happiness it shewed to me is past telling, this is the first time it came to me and then fled away; the second time it came to me was at the Salluda Camp meeting in august, of the above year. I went in Mr. Enoch Lakes waggon with his wife to the meeting and there came the same spirit to me again as I believed from Heaven, and laid off this beautifull city upon our land, and gave me Noah for a witness as it was in the days of Noah, so also shall it be in the days of the son of man they were eating and drinking, marrying & given to marriage untill the flood came and swept them away, this was the second time it came to me, in two weeks after Saluda Camp Meeting I was down on our land, and sit down upon a piece of splitwood the spirit of the lord came to me again and laid off the beautifull city upon our land and stayed for the space of five minutes & woe to them that violate the law from the going forth of this paper awake up ye backsliding Isarael I pray & pray more faster that you might gain the love of God in your souls awake up ye sinners that ye might repent and be born of the spirit of God or Else never see his face in peace. fourth time the spirit came to me, one day I went down to the milk House and the angel of the lord set on the spring as I believe such a beautifull sight mine Eyes never beheld and the happiness of my soul I cant express and it said to me did I think that god made all those beautifull springs for the sue of one man and it fled away such happiness I felt in my soul I am not able to express at the appearance of the beautifull sight this is the fourth time it came to me great & terrible will be the day of the lord & who will be able to stand in that day, none but the righteous that [never?] violate his law and woe to those that violate or lets those servants violate his law that is to say the laws of God on these premises. Another day I stepped on the edge of the old field, the same spirit came to me from Heaven it said to me so [to?] cut the stoppage out of the Gully to let the filth of the city out & ministers of the Gospel cry aloud to the people, this is five time it came to me and fled away, another day I was sitting a spin[n]ing on the piazza and named to me what it should be called, and it was to be the city of the new Jerusalem & everything thats for the use of mans body is to the city or in the city & that they shall build their houses out of Brick & they all shall be beautiful buildings so that it should excell all the Citys in the world and I shall meet there and all my neighbours would be blest on the account of this great city and that I should be much persecuted for it, for it will be such a place of happiness that they will come to it. and the spirit came to me another time and laid off the spot of ground where the dead should be buried and what manner and way Hell is gapeing & ready to receive souls in that violate the laws of God this spirit commanded me to give it to the ministers of the Gospel if you believe it was a good spirit, cry aloud to the people the Saturday after the New Hope Camp meeting the same spirit came to me and said to me the reason that the flood come on us was because the Camp meeting was not on our land where the spirit chose for god this is the way that this great city is to be begun my nine sons has each a lot round their Fathers spring, each one of the boys is to have a lott half an acre the price is three hundred dollars a lott now I Charge you in the name of God not to sell your lotts because it is a bless of God to me.—In the name of God Amen. I, Elizabeth Boyd of Newberry destrict & state of south Carolina being deeply Impressed with the truth of the foregoing narrative have thought fit and proper to make and ordain the following to be my last will and Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment