Monday, September 23, 2013

Where did Jonathan Daniels find the lubricious quotations he attributed to Jeffrey Murrell?

I should have been more suspicious right away but I waited till I got my copy of Daniels's THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE: THE STORY OF THE NATCHEZ TRACE.

The really offensive passage about Jeffrey Murrell's going off to preach the gospel so he would not be after his wife "all the time like a boar during the rutting season" is not one I can find in a facsimile of the "Virgil A. Stewart" book.  That is made to look like Daniels's source.

Does anyone know a documentary source for Jeffrey's telling his wife to stop "walking as she did, hips swinging and breasts undulating, and long thighs molding themselves against her skirt with each step"?

Now, this is no hide off my heel, though Jeffrey's brother Benjamin Murrell is my Uncle Ben, married to my Aunt Mary Sims Murell, and the children of the Land Pirate of the Natchez Trace are cousins to my cousins, the children of Ben and Mary. I'm out to find out if Jeffrey really talked that way and acted that way. Can anyone find a documentary source for Daniels?

He did, after all, spill some of the beans about FDR when he should have kept his silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment