Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Where are all the craftsmen and women gone.

 


When we got here in 1998 there were great old craftsmen working. Jerry the electrician still had his father's brass fittings from the 1920s so I took in (one at a time) a dozen or more lamps. I wanted to be sure they would last out my lifetime without having to be rewired. A shoe cobbler worked with the biggest and most gorgeous thick long-used leather apron I had ever seen. Hollis had a vast machine shop and would do small odd jobs. There was a woman a few blocks away who did expert tailoring. They are all gone now and replaced by frivolities. After my warranties on my 2007 Honda expired I have been going to a local auto place but now you call the number and get a sad tale of sale, take over by another company. The place I used to go with the Bronco is still open, sort of, John retired and Ray long gone, Gordon and Marjorie long dead, a grandson-in-law keeping it going. We will see. I want to use locals, as always. All I want is to have all the personal services available in the 1950s available now when I can finally afford them.

No comments:

Post a Comment