Sunday, August 21, 2022

Even the best people suffer in the Academic Jungle

 


Only politicians and some preachers are crueler and more petty than academics. Noel Polk, of all people, the Welty and Faulkner scholar, was driven out of Hattiesburg. So he landed on his feet: so, still, what happened to him is wrong.

 

Surviving in the Academic Jungle--

 

A note from Noel in 2007:


 I fought the good fight against a worthy adversary at USM, the occasion for my removal to MSU . . . Fighting at USM took it out of me---not the starch, I believe, but just some level of constant indignation that the new pres there caused so much havoc. Not a big deal, and I may feel different tomorrow.

   Take keer, pal.

 

 

Only politicians as a class are crueler and more petty than academics. Noel Polk, of all people, the Welty and Faulkner scholar, driven out of Hattiesburg. So he landed on his feet: so, still, what happened to him is wrong.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment