Friday, November 12, 2021

Making broth with carcasses of Costco roasted chickens. Does every Frugal Cook do this?

 As a Depression Okie I used to pick all the arguably edible meat off the bones before discarding the carcasses of 2 Costco chickens.  This year I have been starting a big pot of water while I am still working on the first of two chickens. I put in a couple of onions, several garlic cloves, a little salt, and one carcass and then the other, and simmer them 3 hours or so and let them cool a few hours. Then I WASTE the bits of flesh and onion. Any wasting is hard to do if you are a Depression Okie. I strain the mass using a cullender (or colander) then do a second catching with a large strainer then let the liquid cool a couple of more hours and skim it and decant it into pint jars. Product: 8 or 9 pints of good strong broth. Much better than store-bought broth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment