Monday, March 29, 2021

A little from an old piece on Vanport and East Vanport because of VANPORT MOSAIC--a 2-hour interview last weekend to get clips for a program.

 [They have located a few dozen people who remember Vanport but so far I am the only living person who remembers Vanport and East Vanport both.]

 

Just a little about Vanport and East Vanport

Authorized before Pearl Harbor, the new DuPont smokeless gunpowder plant near Pryor, Oklahoma, soon needed workers faster than anyone could provide worker housing. We spent the first months of 1942 in a tent on a plywood floor, a pot bellied stove in the center, and a hydrant sticking up from the ground outside the tent, a few hundred feet from the entrance to the plant.  I kicked and screamed as they tried to make me use the new but shit-smeared community outhouse; I was allowed to use a chamber pot after that.  In a canvass annex laced to the main tent I awakened at least once with snow on my face.  While we were in the tent my doctor found a doctor in town who would do a tonsillectomy on my sister without anesthesia.  We took a bus to school in Pryor until the cyclone on 27 April turned the sky a putrid green and blew the school open in the process of killing what Collier's later referred to as "seventy-odd Oklahomans."  I was baffled and resentful when I read that in 1947.  Why did everyone think Okies were odd, and feel free to say so in print?  At the University of Delaware after 1979 I remembered the tent and the squalor every time I signed myself as the "H. Fletcher Brown Professor," for my chair was endowed by the DuPont executive who had been in charge of smokeless gunpowder.

After the cyclone in Pryor, the mother and the children waited in half a telephone operator’s house in Wister, Oklahoma, to be summoned West to a shipyard. The house may have been built from the same plans as the house where Sissy Spacek lived in Raggedy Man. Through the late spring of 1942 my father's dark, impossibly tall granduncle John Glenn (son of a six foot five Mexican War soldier), dressed in black and wearing the only tall black stovepipe hat I ever saw in actual use, brought fresh vegetables to the door of our side of the tiny house.  Special trains, later specified as "Kaiser trains," were carrying workers from the South to work in shipyards and live in Henry J. Kaiser's instant city, Vanport ("Van" for Vancouver, Washington, and "port" for Portland). Our train was mixed, hauling troops and hauling white hillbillies and Southern blacks.  (Newspapers show the much smaller count of Kaiser workers coming from the Northeast.) Vanport in weeks had changed from empty flood plain to the second largest city in Oregon.  In late 1944 and 1945 we were in the new adjunct, East Vanport, separated from the Columbia River by a reddish loose dirt berm about 20 feet high, easy to dig into.  Part of it caved in on three bigger children I knew by sight.  One they dug out seemed OK. The other one they rescued was hollow-eyed and green afterwards, spectral.  The state, I see on the Internet, had a history of fierce prejudice against blacks dating back to the Oregon Donation Land Act of 1850, which specified that free land was only for white settlers.  My father had once lived where there was a sign on either side of town advising any black man not to let the sun go down on his head there.  In the shipbuilding plant where all the facilities were shared he looked hard at a black man who was topping a toilet seat with strip after strip of toilet paper. The man explained himself: "You never know who's been sitting on these seats."  This man's fastidiousness was a revelation to my father, who told the story on his prejudiced self for the rest of his life.  I don't know whether he ever applied it to times when he had been discriminated against because he was so obviously part Indian.  Like the shipyards, the schools in Vanport were integrated, a first for Oregon.  I didn't realize that integration was an enforced experiment there. The only prejudice I saw in Vanport was against a child whom I and the other kids taunted for being an Oregonian (but was he also Japanese?).  I was afraid of George, a black classmate. He was not mean, but he could throw a rock over the tallest tree the bulldozers had left on the banks of the Columbia and I was sure he could poke a finger right through your chest so it came out the other side.  I was not a healthy kid.

Like everyone of mixed races, the older Parkers had been alert to shades of color.  I was an old man before I learned why my Aunt Betty was always called Blanket: she came out so dark they might just as well have given her a blanket and left her off at the Reservation.  Okie humor.  It would never have occurred to me that there could be prejudices against Indians.  My best friend in East Vanport, Billy Shoemaker, was interesting not because he was Indian but because he was Kiowa, not a tribe I had kinfolks in. Around June 1945 I learned just how different other people thought all American Indians were: a cousin of a cousin arrived across the river in Washington, puffy, bloated, doughy, listless, rescued just weeks earlier from a concentration camp where German doctors had been gleeful at their luck in acquiring a genuine Red Indian to perform medical experiments on.

 In Vanport and East Vanport the older children all dropped out of school and got jobs.  My sister worked in a shipyard.  The younger brother was a waiter in a big Portland restaurant (where he served Alan Ladd once and brought home an autograph).  The older at 14 was assistant manager of a grocery store in Portland.  The Portland Oregonian printed my name in 1943 (I may yet locate the issue) because in the third grade I came closest to guessing the number of pinto beans in a goldfish bowl.  Trust an Okie, used to eyeing and prospectively dividing the available resources, to come up with a good rough estimate.  In late 1944 and then 1945 I was much on my own with a small radio (“Terry and the Pirates”), a growing collection of Wonder Woman comics, money for movies, absolutely unsupervised at least 90% of the time.  I was secretively ambitious, for I wrote in pencil on the bottom of a trophy from Jantzen Beach, a chalk Superman, "this has given me a story."  My mother and my visiting sailor cousin, Ishmael (thin like Grandpa Costner and extremely tall) turned Superman upside down but could not read my words.  I kept my secret.  Why did Ishmael have to say he had seen Mickey Rooney turn in a full circle in front of him and other sailors as he urinated on a floor?  Stories that could not be true could disturb your imagination a long time.  At nine, a month or two after FDR's death, I was put to work, riding out on the back of a flatbed truck to pick strawberries and other crops.  Older workers favored me with the vilest kind of confidential talk that I mostly did not understand.  Some of the things I was told, I believe now, were physiologically impossible as well as morally repulsive. 

After being pushed out of Pryor by a cyclone, we got out of Oregon almost three years before the catastrophe, the flood that wiped out Kaiser's whole hastily thrown up cardboard metropolis.  Somewhere in central Oregon my father discovered my cache of Wonder Woman comics under the back seat and threw all of them out the window.  What would they be worth now?  We were parked on the bank of the Snake River in Idaho where someone had left a pocket knife with broken blades and some feet of fishing line when the older ones passed around a paper with headlines about a bomb falling on Hiroshima. (In the second decade of the 21st century I learned that the pilot of the Enola Gay, Paul Tibbets, was a Warfield cousin of my father’s and the man who denounced the bombing later in 1945 was my mother’s cousin, David Dellinger.)

No comments:

Post a Comment