Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Never know what is going to appear on the Internet: Hershel Parker on Herman Melville, and Walter J. Ong’s Thought


Hershel Parker on Herman Melville, and Walter J. Ong’s Thought

Thomas J. Farrell
Professor Emeritus in Writing Studies
University of Minnesota Duluth
This starts out:
Web: In order to get into a proper spirit to read Hershel Parker’s massively researched biography of Herman Melville (1819-1891), I found it necessary to try to see a parallel trajectory in my own life. No, I did not embark as a sailor on a whaler when I was around 22 years old, and I did not publish embellished tales of my adventures such as Typee (1846) and Omoo (1847).


However, Parker ends volume one (1996) of his two-volume biography with Melville presenting Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864) in person with a copy of Moby-Dick (1851) so that he could see the look on Hawthorne’s face when he saw that Melville had dedicated the book to him. Taking a hint from this gesture on Melville’s part, I figured out a trajectory in my own life involving an older scholar whose work I much admire. . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment