Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Looking realistically at "the most serious form" of Valley Fever


The most serious form of the disease, disseminated coccidioidomycosis, occurs when the infection spreads (disseminates) beyond the lungs to other parts of the body. Most often these parts include the skin, bones, liver, brain, heart, and the membranes that protect the brain and spinal cord (meninges).

When we were told that, after all, it was not cancer riddling my body and cracking open the eye, we were relieved. Well, we were so sure it was cancer, after the trip to Stanford, that we continued with finalizing our last wills and I managed to organize a self-published book for Amazon, though not carry it out. You don't step away from a sentence of blindness and death without remembering it.
And Fluconazole worked astonishingly fast. The good right eye patches I ordered from Amazon were delayed and when they got here I could use my right eye with my left eye. The lesion in the eye shrank and shrank until it stopped shrinking. Two weeks ago I noticed that the right eye was still not getting better. At time the bad left eye was the good eye. And the lesion did not disappear. I know its size from the photographs and from my seeing it against a white wall when I open just the right eye in the dark. It's not getting smaller right now. The worst is that what I dreaded from the start of the treatment seems to be true--a scum ring left around the lesion where the gook has dried up. And the unholy power of the drug. What a fate--to have grand plans (say to cook two pans of rich cornbread) and look about the kitchen and see that you can't be on your feet that long. It's a good thing I do not right now have a grand plan to write a biography of Melville, I tell you. Think of all those idiotic movie shots of would be authors sitting at a desk with masses of clean which paper and writing a word or two on a sheet and crumpling it and sending it to the floor! Well, crumpling takes energy. The 2 previously reported cases of Valley Fever in the eye are both ominous--ultimate blindness. So a life sentence to a dizzying drug seems to be where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment