Monday, June 1, 2020

Flluconazole--speedy work at first, then slow. No doctor available for the month after diagnosis

Wednesday I should get to see the infectious disease man. He has been busy with COVID19.
The diagnosis of Valley Fever was April 27. I could tell the difference the second day of taking the pills, though no medical person would believe me. The right eye had been worse the previous week. The drug store mask I tried for several days did not fit, so on April 26 I ordered 2 better quality masks from Amazon for delivery on the 28th. This was a time when the two day delivery mattered. By the time they came on the 30th I did not need them. I could read with both eyes, although there was a grayish cast to the computer screen from the fluid in the lesion. But the improvement has slowed down.  For distance my bad left eye some days sees as well as my lifelong good right eye. When I close my left eye the right eye still shows my face as tan, not dark brown now but darker. And I still have fluid in the lesion. When I open the right eye in the dark I see it the evidence on the wall. At first, it was a huge black blob shaped like a 3-foot wide head of broccoli, with short stem at the bottom. Now, it is like an extra long loaf of bread, maybe a 7th of the original size, and without a stem. So there is still guck in the eye, not drained, and the fast improvement has stopped. I have some fear that the threat to the eye is far from over. So for more than a month I have had a diagnosis but no contact with a doctor, only the Internet. I know I was wrong to try walking on the beach. That caused a bad setback. Maybe the doctor, if I do get to see him, will tell me how active I should be. Really bedrest? Maybe he will change to another anti-fungal drug, one that does not dry the mouth like alum and close the ears as if they were full of water. But my vision is pretty much back, and I have taken advantage of its restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment