Sunday, February 7, 2021

Looking before? How much "before" might there be? My great 2020 line: "I want to keep this."

 This morning I threw caution to the winds, insofar as torn rotator cuffs allow, and ordered a dozen cotton handkerchiefs from Amazon. Then I doubled the order. So what if I leave a drawer with more handkerchiefs than I absolutely need? I think often of the funniest thing I said in 2020, "I want to keep this." What it was I have forgotten, but it was something very complimentary and unexpected and I wanted to save it where I could retrieve it. Then I laughed and laughed because I had just been told that I was going to go completely blind and might have to undergo enucleanation of the right eye before dying of Lymphoma. Yet here I was acting (for the moment) as if there stretched an indefinite future ahead. It's confidence in the indefinite future that drove my extravagant order of 24 handkerchiefs this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment