Wednesday, December 9, 2020

The loss of Woodrow Wilson is one thing. The end of Johns Hopkins may be another thing.

 

I have reconciled myself to Princeton's taking away my 1959 Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship and my 1952 Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowship because of the racial views of President Woodrow Wilson. I now have to say that I received something like Citizens and Ecometrics fellowships, a name arrived at by a hard-thinking elite committee this year. Well, I just won't use any new name. So today I see that my older daughter may have her Johns Hopkins PhD degree invalidated because the founder of that institution turns out to have been a slave-holder, not an abolitionist. And I have to worry about my 2 volume biography of Melville with Maurice Sendak's pictures of HM. What will Johns Hopkins University Press change its name to?

No comments:

Post a Comment