Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Augmented Second time on 20 Sept. 2019--Some cousins in Ken Burns's Country Music series.

Now add Josh Turner. Cousin Ken was a surprise. He's not southern. Now, I am counting kin as single digits and more often low double digits. This is all according to Geni, though I know it is imperfect and actually am often sure from documents that there is another even shorter way, as there is to Merle Haggard. It's all what they call "blood" kin, not those wonderful loop-d'loop connections southerners are so fond of. I am connected to Hank Williams, not blood kin. Heck, I am connected to Lauren Bacall the same way, and usually I get sternly rebuffed when I try someone Jewish. But good golly, people with white folks here since the 1600s are kin to almost everyone who has any connection to Scotland and Northern Ireland. Of course I am blood kin kin to A P Carter, and separately to Sara one way (and surely by the Dougherty bunch too?), and separately to Mother Maybelle, which means because of A P's brother I am double kin to June and Anita and Helen, and double kin to John Carter Cash plus kin on his father's side, for I am separately kin to Johnny Cash, and therefore to Rosanne Cash. Thank goodness, I am kin to Jerry Lee Lewis (and that of course means Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart too), but also (no order) Faron Young, Hank Snow (OK, so he is Canadian, but I am a Scottish Knox and Bell), Jim Reeves, Slim Whitman, Lefty Frizzell, Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, as well as Glen Campbell and Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson. Kin to all 4 of the Highwaymen! Kin to Tim McGraw. And of course Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. After watching the 4th episode I did some more checking, in no order, and can add (as blood kin) Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Roger Miller, Don Everly and Phil Everly, Bob Wills, Brenda Lee, and Elvis Presley.  Now on Thursday adding Bill Monroe, Janis Joplin, Guy Clark, Ernest Tubb, George Strait, Blake Shelton, and Townes Van Zandt. Then Conway Twitty and Tammy Wynette. But, really?, no blood relationship to George Glenn Jones? And, now, who is this guy Taylor Swift who is fairly close kin like the rest of these?
Well, this is fun. After starting it I a medical journey to make to SLO and spent a few minutes on it after watching Episode 4 of Ken Burn's masterpiece. Are there many thousands or even millions of Americans who can compile a list like this in an hour or two. It takes coming to Virginia in the 1600s and having lots of children. Most Indian Territory Okies qualify, for a lot of us came to Virginia early and then in the 1700s arrived in Philadelphia and Baltimore, then Charleston late, just before the Revolution.  As I checked I saw a lot of 1600s Virginia ancestors, mainly English, but many of us were Scottish (mainly from Ireland), who came a little later and spread out just as fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment