Sunday, September 15, 2019

Ken Burns has done it again, a Masterpiece. Very hard to watch for a Depression Okie and a Tubercular.

Jimmie Rodgers died of TB before I was born, but when as a railroad telegrapher I had TB in the early 1950s treatment had not changed in the South, and the friend my age who began coughing up blood which  got us both tested died in 1960. When I first drove to Delaware in 1979 I went out of the way to the Jimmie Rodgers museum in Meridian (contents now being moved into the Railroad Museum). The only other place I went out of the way to visit was the Edmund Pettus Bridge.
It's pleasant to check Sara Dougherty Carter and see that she is a (distant) cousin, but it was heartbreaking to watch Jimmie die, and the Dust Bowl (barely touched on here) is always on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment