Sunday, February 17, 2019

BRUNO GANZ is dead at 77. I was talking about him 2 days ago.

I was doing floor exercises to a Dennis Hopper bio-pic when I learned that Bruno had slugged him for his contemptuous behavior in shooting the American Friend movie. And I was thinking about THE LAST DAYS OF CHEZ NOUS, which I loved and which Vincent Canby (I learn today) trashed so cruelly that it almost cut off Ganz's career.

Years ago walking on the beach at Morro Bay I said to Lisa Harrow that the scene I loved best about THE LAST DAYS OF CHEZ NOUS was her walk with Ganz at the end. She said something powerful--that her taking his hand was not in the script. Now, that's an actor.

Anyhow, he was on my mind a couple of days before he died, and I am sorry he is dead and I wish Canby and Richard Brodhead and Andrew Delbanco could all be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment