Thursday, December 6, 2018

Responses of 2 doctors today--a brush-off and a delivery of flowers

Well, the dermatologist dismissed me today with no apology for maiming me. He sent me away with a bleeder after the operation and told me to hold the bandage to the ear tightly for 10 minutes. Well, that created 2 big clots which caused the loss of the flap which he had cut from the back side and folded over to supply some of the lost ear, and which caused horrific pain and collateral injuries too sad to describe. I drove home today nauseated and at home felt like crying. Needlessly maimed. I could not nap and had just put the pallet and covers into the chest when the doorbell rang. The other person, having eye surgery, had been jerked around by an appallingly incompetent staff who got dates and hours wrong and failed to advise in advance about blood work and EKG and who said to fast after 7 at night and oh we have reset the surgery for 4 pm. The other person raised hell to the doctor. The doorbell just now? Flowers from that doctor. Well, one more eye to go. At least the ear can hold up a temple of a pair of glasses. If the dermatologist had just told me to hold the ear for a minute to see if the bleeding would stop. If we had just driven in to an emergency room. If I could ever learn not to do everything a doctor says. I did not learn in 1970 when the doctor told me to walk on my heel until the next visit. I got permanent bursitis. When I told him how it hurt he said, "Oh, I meant five minutes a day." Okies are the easiest people to run roughshod over. We know how little value we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment