Saturday, August 19, 2017

The time in Jackson Hole in June 1985 when I told Terrell Dixon I would never have to work so hard again

Yesterday I UPS'd the 2nd pass of the 3rd Norton Critical Edition to NYC. The 3rd pass should take a day or two at most. The Northwestern-Newberry final volume is going to be printed and bound any week now, if it is not already sitting around desks in Evanston. So I am free of obligations to Norton and Northwestern. What did I do this morning? Well, I made 2 big bowls of dough, and I think I will make loaves instead of buns. I also started dealing with computer horrors. The Windows 10 picture device was working for several months. I could load from my phone to the computer, and a little bar came down saying here are the latest pictures. That bar stopped coming down. If my pictures are going anywhere I don't know where that is. I have not had time to spend hours in a stretch but I have tried to deal with Google Photos which apparently took all my years of Picasa photos and destroyed them just because I was working when I might have asked Google Photos to save them. I don't know. Other people must use Google Photos successfully. I wrote a book published in 1984 on a computer, for goodness's sake. I am not wholly illiterate. Why can't THEY make things simple for old folks? Then last night THEY ate my Google browser, and getting it back is no longer a simple matter of clicking. Now CHROME lurks, intruding. How did YAHOO get up there as my browser? How did Google get off the task bar? What is an App and do I have to pay for any I download? And go on paying? And Microsoft is not letting me open Word documents normally. I have thousands of Word documents. Will they be wiped out like my Picasa photographs? Microsoft wants me to go to Office with every one of my Word documents and I have to tell it No, all I want to do is open that document, not sign my life away for Office, which is free right now but maybe won't be? How can I save my Word documents? And how do you disable Onedrive, another gobbler?
This ought to have been the day I would know that I would never have to work so hard again. Maybe it will be. The egg bread should be soothing, anyhow. And I saw an otter yesterday in the bay and photographed it though I could not upload or download or transfer the pictures. Maybe I will see dolphins and whales again. At least the beach is always soothing as well as invigorating. There's that to look forward too. But I need one average clean teenager to straighten out my computer in 10 minutes. I would pay.
In Jackson Hole I was substituting for Secretary Bennett. I was not too proud to accept.
Now I see that Terrell Dixon like a good Okie has moved west from Houston to Corrales. It was good to be with a fellow Okie in Jackson Hole. I always associate him with the delusion that I would never have to work so hard again, and now after 32 years maybe I really won't have to work so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment