Saturday, July 27, 2013

Can someone correct George Long Duyckinck's death year in Wikipedia? See Parker 2.533-534.

George Long Duyckinck

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
George Long Duyckinck
George Long Duyckinck (October 17, 1828 – March 30, 1868) was a New York City writer.

Biography . . . 


On Parker 2:534 is Oakey Hall's masterpiece of a condolence letter.


HOOSICK, NEAR TROY March 31, 1863  Oakey Hall writes to Evert Duyckinck:
          In a little town to which business called me: in the midst of a driving snowstorm: just toward dusk: and with everything cheerless about me I learn of the death of George.  It is a great shock: for I did not even know he was ill: & I shall not, I fear, reach town to attend the funeral, but shall try.
          You know Evert I have knocked around the edges of society of all sorts & have for a man of my years seen a great deal of the bad side of life without being in it or of it.  I can therefore well admire & esteem such a meek and unaffectedly just man as was George.  To me he stands out in very bold relief as such a man.  He was guileless, charitable to the failings of others, detesting wrong & deceit.  You see I dwell on the things which to me seem great virtues.  Others will speak of his talents, & literary labors & of his mind & its acumen.  But to me a good man & that my friend is praise above all praise . . .  NYPL-D

No comments:

Post a Comment