Saturday, June 12, 2021

I could not help posting a comment on the Washington Post story of Juneteenth at the Latta Plantation at Charlotte

 Well, everything was wrong from the outset, first item being the attempt to appropriate a Texas 1965 holiday. Have you ever been to the Latta Plantation? Mrs, Jane Knox Latta is a cousin of mine, granddaughter of Robert Ewart. In 2007 I politely asked for a family discount at the ticket counter and was rudely rebuffed. We paid, and a good thing we did, because we got to see fabulous slave quarters, gorgeously spaced and ventilated and, oh my, the sort of house any slave would rejoice in. Now I know what slave quarters were really like and I never have to feel bad ever again about mistreatment of slaves. I wonder if the ticket clerk from 2007 had been promoted to the great planning commission of 2021.  What a bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment