Thursday, November 14, 2019

There's a big review by Helen Vendler in the NYRofB about the Library of America HERMAN MELVILLE: COMPLETE POEMS

Helen read CLAREL in 1976 in preparation for my big talk at the centenary meeting in Pittsfield. Let me see if I can copy some I wrote just now to the Library of America editor.
Thank you, John. Helen Vendler read CLAREL in 1976 before coming with a friend to the Melville centenary meeting at Pittsfield. I gave the big talk, a version of the Hawthorne-Vine story I worked on for decades, last in MELVILLE BIOGRAPHY: AN INSIDE NARRATIVE. It different from Bezanson in focusing on Vine's race long since being run, Hawthorne's great achievements being in the past when HM met him, however impressive he still was. One man in the audience came close to dying in his rage at what I had said. The reddish haired man was in a paroxysm--truly in danger of dying right there, sputtering and shouting invectives at me for daring to minimize Hawthorne even by literary proxy. Later Helen's friend told me that Helen had listened to the fury while saying (of me) over and over, "He's right, he's right." So that was her first experience with CLAREL. I have not read the review yet, but will do so now. You were right in your hint about the quality of the reviewer assigned. I probably mentioned her to you as the one I hoped for. No one else would have been as well qualified.
Well, how about that!
Hershel
Attachments area

No comments:

Post a Comment