Sunday, November 10, 2019

2005 or so--Notes about "the figure of Napoleon" on 214 in the 1971 THE CONFIDENCE-MAN, Norton Critical Edition

I was reading the book trying to be alert for passages that Elizabeth Foster and later editors such as me had not footnoted. Here is the page when I recognized that something was going on. Since this was just questioning, not discovery, I did not date my notes. I will have to check my diary for the joy of discovery. More commentary below!
You see I was asking (question mark!): "a famous instance of apperception testing?" Often you can sort of nearly almost get what is going on--at least, get that something is going on. And oh the joy of discovery! How I miss that in the Melville publication LEVIATHAN. Maybe that will change under the new editorship. You know where I see that joy now?--in Scott Norsworthy's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment