Friday, January 4, 2019

Jim Webb as Defense Secretary? Not a YES Man. Not a chance?

I have sent money out of state twice, the second time to Beto and the first time to Jim Webb, when my hundred dollars, just at the right time, made him Senator for 6 years, starting in 2007. BORN FIGHTING is a quite wonderful history of the Scots in the colonies and later. Jim Webb heard family stories on the front porch or around a fireside. I envy him, for I had to find many hundreds of stories myself, on the Internet in the 21st century.

May I point out an error on 244 both in the paperback and the hardback? I have both, of course. Webb's writing about Reconstruction (a deceitful word if there ever was one):--"the invaders, the occupiers, the political reeducators who this time around called themselves Radical Reconstructionists, the philosophical fairies, the carpetbagger businesspeople with their grand plans and special deals . . . ."

Now before you start yelling HOMOPHOBE let me explain that Jim was dictating, at some point, and he did not say "the philosophical fairies," although there may be many in such a tribe. What he said, as any good Southern Christian (not including present-day Evangelicals) knows, was "philosophical Pharisees." Understand, children, in the New Testament the Pharisees were . . . .
The word "fairies" is a typo, it's a howler of a typo. I of course used to be a meta-textualist and knew how to read keeping a whole paragraph in mind as I went.

Will Jim take the job? If he does, it will because his patriotism is higher than that of the current President, and he thinks he might do something very important for the whole country.

No comments:

Post a Comment