Sunday, March 31, 2019

Watched THE HIGHWAYMEN last night--Not the 4 great singers but Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson & a Great Crew


Hershel Parker Thank you, Stephen Kiernan, for the heads up on Facebook about the Netflix showing.

I had never heard of the movie but after THE BAKER'S SECRET I trusted Kiernan's judgment and made a note to watch it. I just finished it. As I said, I had not known who was in THE HIGHWAYMEN. Kevin Costner was. His father was my 2nd cousin, so I look at Kevin's ears and nose and listen to his voice carefully. I think he must be one of the bravest movie stars working now, to let himself look like a believable Frank Hamer. 

I was prepared to be moved by a movie that takes place in the Depression just where this one is. I have been steeped in Texas and Louisiana and Oklahoma in the last months. For I few years I have been publishing about the American Revolution, mainly events that involved kinfolks I never knew about until recently. That is, I am learning Southern history by finding relatives who were involved in momentous events, and even are in historical records, sometimes. Following Hill cousins, one a Texas Ranger, I recently wrote an article on the 1862 Great Hangings of Gainesville, Texas, that will be in the Southwestern Historical Quarterly (I found an unknown very early history of the hangings. Cousin Aaron does not come out well.)  Lately the Texas Revolution has been on my mind, particularly Nacogdoches, where my Revolutionary veteran William Sparks died in 1848.  I sent off a thing today, an unknown piece written in Nacogdoches by a participant in the so-called Runaway Scrape. The first portrait in Frank Dobie's OUT OF THE OLD ROCK, Cousin George McGehee, was in the Scrape at the age of two months. George told his mother's story, a thrilling tale involving another McGehee cousin. I am about done with a longer piece on the 1836 flight to the Gulf ports and the Sabine. 

The Panhandle of Oklahoma has been on my mind. I explained to a cousin the other day that the "IT" she found in a document did not include Guymon--that was OT. In 1952 when I was an apprentice telegrapher in Red Rock, OK, we had OT and IT tickets on great hooks in the AT&SF depot, printed before statehood. Two Mississippi brothers went out to Oklahoma Territory around 1900 and homesteaded near Guymon, my grandfather Gene Costner and his brother Mode (Moses Amariah) Costner. Mode stayed there and died there. There were years when the only kinfolks the older children knew were the two Costner families. My parents are there in the 1930 census--something I learned recently. They had been in the Panhandle of Texas during some of the worst of the Dust Bowl. Guymon must have been a brief stay. After I was born they got to Escobas, on the Rio Grande, for four or five years. You can't rely on anything. I am in the 1940 Federal Census as born in 1930. We did a lot of Model A driving across Texas in the Depression.

Also, I have been thinking about Texas and Louisiana for weeks because the flight to the Sabine in 1836 put the Texian refugees near places I worked at on the Kansas City Southern starting in 1952--Noble, Zwolle, Many, DeRidder, Dequincy. I was in a TB warehouse east of Shreveport, out toward Texas, one summer. They had not heard of streptomycin. I found a place that had. For two years I was night telegrapher (8 pm to 4 am) on the Kansas City Southern at Port Arthur while I went to school in Beaumont. I am so old that when I graduated with highest honors in 1959 Dan Rather read my name aloud--on the radio, in Houston. I thought for the last several years that my Melville Collection (books and research files) would go there, to Beaumont. That fell through early this year and after much distress my first choice, the Berkshire Athenaeum, under a new young director, came through this month with a welcome to the books and research files--an enthusiastic welcome, publicized at once.  I will not have to put 60 bankers' boxes at the curb, after all.

So, I was all set to be powerfully moved by a Depression movie that took place in Texas and Louisiana and Oklahoma and that starred Kevin Costner. 

The movie never had a false move until the slapstick ending, the exchange of drivers. Mr. Gault would have had to pee when they changed drivers. Did they shoot two endings? 

Thank you, Stephen, and congratulations to your friend, the writer John Fusco. It was a splendid movie.

---P. S. I had to check. If you are Southern you are either kin or connected, Double Cousin Lois says. Clyde Barrow is my 8th cousin 11 times removed, through the Knoxes. Mississippi cousins, deal with it. Well, Kevin is my 2nd cousin once removed. In the South . . . .

1


1 comment:

  1. I watched this on Netfix a few months back and to my surprise loved it. My animus against Costner is over (sorry, didn't know he was kin to you). Now that he’s gotten wrinkled and paunchy, he’s forced to act and he is a good actor, when he’s not relying on charm school.

    What we have here is a wrinkle on one of the classic subgenres of the western, when two old guys are called out of retirement to take on the baddies and show the high-tech suits how to subdue outlaws. A page from Peckinpah. Ride the High County being to my mind one of the two or three greatest westerns of all time.

    The revisionist notion of erasing Bonnie and Clyde from their legend is brilliant, I think, and works very well. We don’t even see their faces until they're shot to pieces. I liked that. I also loved the vintage cars raising dust up and down the not-yet-paved roads of the Ozark trail before they’re all turned into state and national highways. Migrant camps and vignettes of the Great Depression. I always get a fine reality effect from that when it’s done well.

    Did you have problems with the sound track? Some of my friends did but no me. It’s nothing like the coercion of the original Bonnie and Clyde when Arthur Penn had the bluegrass banjo telling us how to interpret the film, tho Penn, being a brilliant director, caught the audience with their pants down by continuing the goodtime banjo right through the submachinegun slaughter of the final scene. Isn’t this fun, it seemed to be telling us. Let the good times roll! The director’s irony, like the rock sound track to Apocalypse Now.

    I could talk about the Ozark Trail, at least the parts of it that became Route 66 after 1928. I was born and grew up on that highway, and my granddaddy got out there with his team of mules and helped grade part of it. There are drivable bits of old 66 left in Oklahoma--other states too, as I learned from Jerry McClanahan's wonderful "EZ 66 Guide" (ring-bound so it'll lie open flat on your carseat). Guarantee you that traveling the old shoulderless 9-foot slab thru crooks and one-lane tunnels at 50 miles an hour will make you grab leather. wp

    ReplyDelete