Sunday, December 30, 2018

SOBER YEAR-END REFLECTIONS ON HOW PARTICULAR DEATHS CAN WIPE OUT AREAS OF YOUR LIFE



WHEN YOU ARE OLD, SOME DEATHS WIPE OUT AREAS OF YOUR LIFE THAT NO ONE ELSE SHARES

When you are young you know that deaths of other young people can destroy families. When you get old, some deaths just leave gaps in crowds. Other deaths, as you get older, can wipe out whole decades of your aspirations and struggles and achievements. The death this year of a Tindall cousin, my first collaborator (on a Zane Grey novel in 1948) wipes out any other early participant of the ambition I had held at least since the spring of 1945, when Cousin Ishmael visited us in Oregon (and thank goodness could not read what I had written on the base of a plaster Superman). The death this year of another Oklahoma classmate (though I did not get to go to the 12th grade with him and the collaborator) finishes off shared school memories and also finishes off the 1952-1959 years as a railroad telegrapher, for he was on the same railroad briefly, in 1954. The loss of a wise genealogist and West Pointer in 2013 removed the only cousin I could share all my work on ORNERY PEOPLE with. From USC there survives a daily companion and also a movie editor and great textual theorist just now sending great photographs from Peru. A rhetorician also survives. But the death of two University of Southern California former students and a USC-East man have almost wiped out shared memories of my long battles for honesty in the textual establishment. (So in 2015 Amanda Gailey in Proofs of Genius: Collected Editions from the American Revolution to the Digital Age acknowledges that I was right in the 1970s! No one who suffered then remembers besides me.) My teacher’s death in 2001 removed the strongest connection to Northwestern and the Newberry, although the connection to the Press remained and a younger student of his emerged to do, perhaps better, what the teacher wanted to do. But the completion of THE WRITINGS OF HERMAN MELVILLE in 2017 puts an end to that phase, and my edition of the Library of America HERMAN MELVILLE: COMPLETE POEMS, now advertised as due out for Melville’s bicentennial in 2019, puts an end to all that. No one thinks I will write or edit another book on Melville! My problem now is getting rid of my Melville books and papers some way other than putting them on the curb a box at a time. I thought I had that taken care of . . . .  The death of one Delaware professor who kept up research in the Romantics and in new tools in world libraries sent out an email saying he had cancer and not to write him and then died fast—cutting off the connection to Delaware. For many years I had a strong connection to Norton, but after the death of one editor it was never the same, and I had to take the biography away from the editor who wanted to know if you knew when you crossed the Line, could you see  it? I am grateful to have the 3rd Norton Critical Edition of Moby-Dick out in 2017, with superb cooperation and help, but I don’t expect to do the 4th edition. That part of my career is over—except you never know: the Ministry of Education in France this year and in 2019 is using the 2006 Norton Critical Edition of The Confidence-Man as one of five texts in its national agrégation exams. Something may rise up.  Then there areas of life so wiped out that I cannot remember them now or cannot talk about them.  As long as the half dozen regular runners on the beach at Morro Bay survive . . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment